2020 - 2021 Apprenticeships
PERSEVERANCE THEATRE, Alaska's largest professional theatre, is seeking highly qualified apprentices for our 2020-2021 season in the following areas: production management, stage management, and arts administration. Under the leadership of Artistic Director Leslie Ishii and Managing Director Frank Delaney, Perseverance produces musical, contemporary, and world premiere productions in Juneau and Anchorage. Perseverance is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community of staff and apprentices, and individuals from underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply. Apprenticeships take place in Juneau generally run August through May. Perseverance Theatre will provide a $150 weekly stipend, round-trip travel, local transportation, and housing for the duration of the apprenticeship.
PRODUCTION MANAGEMENT APPRENTICE
The Production Management Apprentice will work with the Production Manager and other staff to coordinate
production. They will assist with communications, research, paperwork, event management, and other technical
elements of the season. Other professional development opportunities will be provided based on interest and strengths.
Typical duties include:
- Training with Production Manager on scheduling and communications between cast, creative teams, staff, and
- Helping prepare season paperwork (calendars, contact sheets, etc.)
- Conducting research for special projects
- Holding 2 show positions, determined based on experience and interest
- Training with and working alongside tech departments as needed to gain understanding of their operations
- Managing events alongside the Stage Management and Admin Apprentices with oversight
Directly reports to: Production Manager (John Abele)
Also may report to other technical and production staff as duties and assignments require
STAGE MANAGEMENT APPRENTICE
The Stage Management Apprentice will work under a variety of theatre professionals, refining skills as an Assistant Stage
Manager in two different venues. They will report to the Company Manager and will have administrative duties in that
area when outside of rehearsals/performances. Other professional development opportunities will be provided based
on interest and strengths. Typical duties include:
- Training with professional stage managers and gain the skills necessary to manage a professional production.
- Serving as assistant stage manager on at least 2 PT mainstage productions as needed, including one transfer
from Juneau to Anchorage
- Assisting the Company Manager in office and daily operations tasks, such as scheduling travel, communicating
with Guest Artists prior to and during their stay.
- Assisting with Airport pick-ups, housing upkeep, car maintenance.
- Managing events alongside the Production Management and Admin Apprentices with oversight
- Administering general office tasks, including answering the main phone lines, directing calls, and selling and
Directly reports to: Company Manager/Resident Stage Manager (Sarah Wallace)
Also may report to: Show Stage Managers, Production Manager, General Manager
ARTS ADMINISTRATION APPRENTICE
The Arts Administration Apprentice will work side-by-side with Perseverance Theatre’s administrative staff to gain an in-
depth understanding of nonprofit theatre administration. They will assist the theater in finance, development,
marketing, company management, and box office procedures. Other professional development opportunities will be
provided based on interest and strengths. Typical duties include:
- Training within the general administration of non-profit theatre
- Drafting copy for websites, grant requests, and press releases
- Creating promotional and marketing materials
- Maintaining donor correspondence
- Administering the box office, selling tickets, and configuring events
- Tracking incoming invoices , transactions, and financial statements
- Managing events alongside the Production and Stage Management Apprentices with oversight
Directly reports to: General Manager (Ty Yamaoka)
Also reports to: Director of Development, Director of Marketing & Engagement
Perseverance prides itself on collaboration and hands-on learning. The apprentices at Perseverance Theatre will work
directly with staff members to train in their area of focus and of all operations in a professional regional theatre. All
positions complete duties separate from their area of focus. This might include general office tasks, other production
tasks, cleaning, strike, manual labor, etc.
Individuals from underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply, please submit a cover letter and a resume (including 3 references) to email@example.com. Please
include your name and the position you are applying for in the subject line. Applications are due by April 1, 2020.